• filter:

Tipping who and why??

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
After looking at this thread https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1565048 i thought i would start a general tip post

Why do we tip certain professions but not others, for example, we will tip a barista but not the person who scoops our ice cream

Now when i used to live in VA, employees are paid around $2 or so so they kind of need tips, but why is that the customers duty to provide them a living wage

Now i live in WA and servers make $10 to $15 so without tips they are making quite a bit already

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
This is a novel idea for a thread! Great job OP!

rated:
After living overseas for an extended amount of time, I've changed my mindset on tipping.

Other than tipping 15% for good service at dining, I wouldn't tip anything else unless I receive extra service.

I tipped $30 to the front desk of Mandalay Bay and got upgraded to a 1000 sqft suite on the 60th floor. He also threw in $100 in resort credits.

I once tipped nothing on a meal when the service was shit. Never returned to the establishment either.

rated:
This is a good thread.

I live in a very remote area with little opportunity to dine out. One place we will go to for lunch sometimes is Hoss's Steak House which is similar to Ponderosa I guess. Here you place your order and pay before being seated. Usually we will both get the salad(?) bar. A waitress brings our drinks and takes away pur empty plates - that is it. I don't know what I should do in this circumstance - I feel that 15%-20% is too much tip just for that.

As far as tip jars at fast food places I've never seen one around here - must be a city thing.

rated:
I despise tipping for a number of reasons:
* It shouldn't be my job to figure out how much an employee should earn
* Employees are incentivized to maximize tips rather than customer satisfaction
* Tipping is a completely ineffective way to recognize service quality because consumers are all over the map on tipping
* Tipping a percentage of the bill means the amount varies by the cost of the items and not the effort required to serve them
* Tipping supports front-of-house employees but not the rest of the staff
* Consumers feel compelled to accept and pay for services they don't really want, like bell services at a nice hotel

Tipping is great for the rare occasions when someone has gone out of their way to deliver extra value, but I'd love to get rid of it for any situation where it's an expected part of the cost of a product or service.

rated:
prosperity said:   As far as tip jars at fast food places I've never seen one around here - must be a city thing.

What's a tip jar?  Every fast food place I've been asks for a tip on an iPad.

rated:
sfchris said:   This is a novel idea for a thread! Great job OP!

rated:
What's the difference between me and a canoe?  A canoe tips!

rated:
doveroftke said:   
* Consumers feel compelled to accept and pay for services they don't really want, like bell services at a nice hotel

Tipping is great for the rare occasions when someone has gone out of their way to deliver extra value, but I'd love to get rid of it for any situation where it's an expected part of the cost of a product or service.

Ugh, I hate this. Not only do I not want to tip a bell-hop for rolling my bag for me, I don't really want to have to ride the elevator with him and have a conversation on the way to my room as I'm usually pretty tired and would rather not have to talk to anyone, let alone pay someone money to be forced to talk to them. At one hotel, the bellhops wait at the door and when you come in they ask if you're checking in and they follow you to the checkin desk to "help you."

rated:
marginoferror said:   
At one hotel, the bellhops wait at the door and when you come in they ask if you're checking in and they follow you to the checkin desk to "help you."

"I don't need help with my bags, thank you."  Have some situational awareness and don't allow yourself to be robbed by these tip hungry industries.

If you valet your car, eat at restaurants, use bellhops, etc etc you deserve to get fleeced.  If no one succumbed to industries with this moronic practice it would go away.

rated:
This is FWF, so I'll just say it. The only thing that's stopping you is social pressure and your conscience.

rated:
Because the g-strings would look empty with dollars on them.

rated:
ZenNUTS said:   Because the g-strings would look empty with dollars on them.
  how can i tip strippers with dollar coins

rated:
marginoferror said:   
doveroftke said:   

Ugh, I hate this. Not only do I not want to tip a bell-hop for rolling my bag for me, I don't really want to have to ride the elevator with him and have a conversation on the way to my room as I'm usually pretty tired and would rather not have to talk to anyone, let alone pay someone money to be forced to talk to them. At one hotel, the bellhops wait at the door and when you come in they ask if you're checking in and they follow you to the checkin desk to "help you."

the few times I've used a bell-hop  , it's never like in the movies where the check-in guy snaps his fingers and the bell-hop appears. I get my keys , leave my bags and sometime later the bell hop comes up. 

rated:
rufflesinc said:   

Leave before I bounce you!

rated:
When I go to my parent's regular spots (with or without them!!), we get so much attention, heavy pours, free drinks, special meals, etc. Some of it is that my dad is really charismatic, tells good jokes and stories, etc., but it's also because my dad is a heavy tipper (as are the rest of us, to a lesser degree).

rated:
ZenNUTS said:   
rufflesinc said:   

Leave before I bounce you!

Just drop the coins in the slot🤦

rated:
rufflesinc said:   

You insert it into the slot, silly!

rated:
N/T

rated:
rufflesinc said:   ZenNUTS said:   Because the g-strings would look empty with dollars on them.

I would probably get my FW account closed if I told you here.

rated:
sfchris said:   This is a novel idea for a thread! Great job OP!

Thank goodness you created this thread, Captain Internet Explorer...

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017