• filter:

Ever come across this tipping scenario at a restaurant?

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
This was at a Jersey Mikes where you order, pay and pick up at the counter, so no service involved. At most places like this, the cashier runs your credit card and hands you a receipt that has a tip line to enter a tip amount or cross it out if you choose. At this place you are in front of a tablet screen where the cashier creates a prompt, and you reply on the screen. Like chips or fries, choice of beverage, etc. Finally it asks something like, how much tip would you like to leave? There are choices †10% 15% 18% 20% and none at this time. All the while the cashier is staring at you waiting for input. A little intimidating I thought. My first visit there and needless to say, I havenít been back. Any other places try to shake you down for a tip by intimidation?†

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
When I was in college, the beggar on the street had a higher net worth than I did once school loans were factored in.†

Ti... (more)

henry33 (Apr. 22, 2017 @ 11:37p) |

Never been because there are none near where I live. Jersey Mike's seems to have way more locations in my area (central ... (more)

meade18 (Apr. 24, 2017 @ 10:24a) |

Tipping is an option because some people will leave some no matter what because†restaurant business is usually one where... (more)

Shandril (Apr. 24, 2017 @ 2:41p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
OK - why is this a difficult concept? If you feel like they did a great job, leave them a tip. If not, don't. It's very simple.

No more tip threads on FWF!!!†

rated:
I've had this happen with the POS at a local lunch shop. I don't know what the server sees on their side, trying to think of it in the light most favorable for the server, maybe they're just trying to keep a mental tally of what tips they should get paid out. I had zero problem clicking "None" with the woman standing right there though.

rated:
Cashman said:   OK - why is this a difficult concept? If you feel like they did a great job, leave them a tip. If not, don't. It's very simple.

† Like I said, this place doesn't have service. All are paid at least $11.50 a hour. I don't see why tipping is even an option. Maybe a jar would be ok, but this method is a bit much. At the auto parts store, when the guy goes in the back to get me a set of spark plugs, why isn't there a tip jar at the cash register?

rated:
atikovi said:   This was at a Jersey Mikes where you order, pay and pick up at the counter, so no service involved. At most places like this, the cashier runs your credit card and hands you a receipt that has a tip line to enter a tip amount or cross it out if you choose. At this place you are in front of a tablet screen where the cashier creates a prompt, and you reply on the screen. Like chips or fries, choice of beverage, etc. Finally it asks something like, how much tip would you like to leave? There are choices †10% 15% 18% 20% and none at this time. All the while the cashier is staring at you waiting for input. A little intimidating I thought. My first visit there and needless to say, I havenít been back. Any other places try to shake you down for a tip by intimidation?†
My local Domino's has the same type of payment setup. †

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
atikovi said:   This was at a Jersey Mikes where you order, pay and pick up at the counter, so no service involved. At most places like this, the cashier runs your credit card and hands you a receipt that has a tip line to enter a tip amount or cross it out if you choose. At this place you are in front of a tablet screen where the cashier creates a prompt, and you reply on the screen. Like chips or fries, choice of beverage, etc. Finally it asks something like, how much tip would you like to leave? There are choices †10% 15% 18% 20% and none at this time. All the while the cashier is staring at you waiting for input. A little intimidating I thought. My first visit there and needless to say, I havenít been back. Any other places try to shake you down for a tip by intimidation?†
My local Domino's has the same type of payment setup. †

††
Buy online, pickup in store - no tip involved...†

rated:
0% and I won't be coming back. Problem solved.

rated:
Look at the name of the place. I feel like I get my wallet shaken down every time I go to NJ, especially all of the toll booths. This adds the same atmosphere to your sandwich experience.

rated:
Before the tablet was invented, they had this thing called a "tip jar" and it sat in front of the cash register to intimidate and shake you down.

rated:
atikovi said:   There are choices †10% 15% 18% 20% and none at this time. All the while the cashier is staring at you waiting for input. A little intimidating I thought. My first visit there and needless to say, I havenít been back. Any other places try to shake you down for a tip by intimidation?†

††
I go to such a place enough that the owner recognizes me. I have never left a tip. The owner still says hello, smiles and makes small talk. Maybe he thinks "no tip" when he sees me, I don't care. I smile to him, he smiles back.

rated:
atikovi said:   
Cashman said:   OK - why is this a difficult concept? If you feel like they did a great job, leave them a tip. If not, don't. It's very simple.

† Like I said, this place doesn't have service. All are paid at least $11.50 a hour. I don't see why tipping is even an option. Maybe a jar would be ok, but this method is a bit much. At the auto parts store, when the guy goes in the back to get me a set of spark plugs, why isn't there a tip jar at the cash register?

Do you tip @ Subway, McDonalds, Wendy's or Burger King? Probably not - Why would JM's be any different? †As Atikovi said - The employees get paid at least minimum wage unlike servers @ restaurants who get $2.13 per hour. No tip necessary unless you're feeling extra generous. Personally, I don't think people anyone should tip them otherwise they will begin to expect it and shun you otherwise. it's really getting out of hand.†

rated:
Outback Steakhouse has a pos tablet at every table. They have that sliding tip scale too. I tip out servers in cash so I zero out the scale.

rated:
Supposedly tips once stood for to insure prompt service, meaning it would be given at the beginning of the meal. Anyway, just hit none at this time or continue to stay away.

rated:

If you get intimidated by a tablet that asks for a tip, you have bigger problems to worry about.

rated:
Almost 75% of the walk up food places in the sf Bay Area have them like that now. Even my haircut place does.

rated:
It's now common. Just enter no tip and pay, if that's what you want. They won't shoot you. I'm still here.

rated:

† At the time the tip is asked for, there is no way to know if they have done a good job. All that has happened is that his order has been taken. He doesn't know how fast he will get his food, the quality of the food, etc.

This scenario is better than when they hand you a credit card slip to sign and you have to scratch through the tip line while the cashier watches. I try to pay in cash at places like this to remove the awkwardness.

rated:
burgerwars said:   It's now common. Just enter no tip and pay, if that's what you want. They won't shoot you. I'm still here.
††
Yeah, if they spit or blow their nose in your food, you won't even notice.

rated:
burgerwars said:   It's now common. Just enter no tip and pay, if that's what you want. They won't shoot you. I'm still here.
† Yea but you never know if do anything to the food. Spit or worse into it.

rated:
I think the point of the thread is simply to point out this scenario exists, a PSA if you will.

If you have not encountered this, you may experience †a couple of seconds (or a few) of the deer in headlight moment because you're blind sided.

rated:
This is just a modern version of a tip jar. Leaving a tip in the jar at a counter service place is 100% optional. Everyone knows this. If you didn't know this, then you don't interact with other people enough. The people behind the counter don't expect a tip from everyone, but they appreciate when they get one from some people. It's not a significant portion of their income like a waiter, but it's a nice little bonus.

Since so many people don't carry cash anymore, this is the digital evolution that TIPPERS have actually requested. It's a morale thing for the employees. As an entrepreneur, I wouldn't want to put out a tip jar to avoid pissing off my customers that can't handle the perceived judgment (there really is none) when not tipping if a jar is there (like some of you posting here that you avoid the places that have them - sad). As an employer, I would want to put one out as a cheap way to make my employees happy that I'm giving the customers the option. Before seeing people's attitudes about this stuff on FWF, I wouldn't have thought twice about putting out a tip jar. Now that I realize how many people are such whiners when it comes to tipping, it actually is a business decision to put one out or not.

rated:
And... this is what happens when everyone communicates electronically. Intimidation by tablet.

rated:
This is a common Point of Sale system that many places use. If you hit "New Sale" in the upper left once you're done, the screen disappears and they can't see how much tip you did/didn't leave.

rated:
It's awkward but everyone is doing it. All these mid-level food pickup places have it- just learn to ignore it.

How about buffets where they refill your drinks? How much is that worth? 5% tip?

rated:
meade18 said:   Before seeing people's attitudes about this stuff on FWF, I wouldn't have thought twice about putting out a tip jar.†
The place I go with the $5 gyros has a jar placed exactly under the spot where you hand the cashier the money and they hand you back the change. Cleaver on their part, yes, no way to miss it and most people would be guilted into dropping their change into it. I've learned to bring exact change. Why not just put the tip jar some other place like by the door. People can deposit a tip as they leave.†

rated:
atikovi said:   ... . Why not just put the tip jar some other place like by the door. People can deposit a tip as they leave.†

A jar of money conveniently by the exit is an invitation for theft.

rated:
Stop getting anxious and uneasy when unskilled labor passive aggressively put tip jars and tip lines on everything. It's just the restaurant trying to pass the buck and low wage earners trying to force this habit on society. It's garbage, don't fall for it.

Personally, when one of these places has a tip line or tip jar I am even less likely to tip.

Putting food in a bag and handing it to you when they are not a waiter and are getting paid a fair wage is not sufficient for a tip.

I tip a small amount at restaurants where I get takeout and the waiter getting paid 3 dollars an hour spends a minute or two boxing it up for me.

rated:
jd2010 said:   ...
I tip a small amount at restaurants where I get takeout and the waiter getting paid 3 dollars an hour spends a minute or two boxing it up for me.

What if the waiter gets $11/hr?

rated:
You might want to recheck that screen. † We visit a few restaurants like that........order at the counter but they deliver to the table. †I felt a bit guilty not leaving a tip but didn't think it should be 15%, the minimum
that I saw. † Turns out there was another option at the end....OTHER , where you can customize your tip.

rated:
jerosen said:   jd2010 said:   ...

Usually not if I know this. This is one of my pet peeves so often times before I go to a restaurant with takeout I'll Google whether or not they make full wage or are paid $2 an hour (which is another topic of rage, Europe gets it right here)

Granted this is annoying and a waste of time but it's one of those things I do out of principle. In 20 years we will probably be expected to tip literally everyone, yuck.

rated:
jd2010 said:   
jerosen said:   

This is one of my pet peeves so often times before I go to a restaurant with takeout I'll Google whether or not they make full wage or are paid $2 an hour (which is another topic of rage, Europe gets it right here)

Nobody is paid $2 a hour.†

Key point many people miss: The federal minimum wage is $7.25/hour. Period. There are selected exceptions. Being a tipped employee is not one of those exceptions. Instead, the employer is only required to pay tipped employees a direct minimum wage of $2.13/hour because tipped employees are assumed to make up the difference. If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference.†

rated:
JepJepJep said:   
jd2010 said:   
jerosen said:   

This is one of my pet peeves so often times before I go to a restaurant with takeout I'll Google whether or not they make full wage or are paid $2 an hour (which is another topic of rage, Europe gets it right here)

Key point many people miss: The federal minimum wage is $7.25/hour. Period. There are selected exceptions. Being a tipped employee is not one of those exceptions. Instead, the employer is only required to pay tipped employees a direct minimum wage of $2.13/hour because tipped employees are assumed to make up the difference. If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference.†

††
Yep - but in practice that will only happen once before the employee is fired.

rated:
JepJepJep said:   
jd2010 said:   
jerosen said:   

† But that is still different than the ones getting a direct wage of $10/hour and then tips on top of that...

rated:
kaneohe said:   You might want to recheck that screen. † We visit a few restaurants like that........order at the counter but they deliver to the table. †I felt a bit guilty not leaving a tip but didn't think it should be 15%, the minimum
that I saw. † Turns out there was another option at the end....OTHER , where you can customize your tip.

† One of the first "fast food" type places I went to with this system I promptly picked NO TIP. Only later did I find out that they brought the food to your table, took your dirty trays away, refilled your drinks, etc. Each time I've been back (about once a year) I tip them when ordering, but for a first visit it's too soon to know if they deserve it. That was probably the only time I've regretted not tipping. Far more likely is giving a generous tip before you realize you've been overcharged.

A few times a year I visit a butcher shop that is also a sandwich shop. Their receipts have a tip line by default since most of their business is sandwiches. Since they have to shift gears to prepare our order I tip $5 each time. If I were just picking up a sandwich I might not tip at all. Find a way to show appreciation to those that do a good job and don't get too caught up in the details.

rated:
JepJepJep said:   
jd2010 said:   

You know what he meant. He meant "paid $2/hr by the establishment."

rated:
††
Yeah I'm pretty sure this is First Data Corporation's wholly owned subsidiary Clover -- the Clover POS tablet seems to be extremely popular with stores that don't have some company-proprietary point-of-sale system, all throughout the US.

Their default UI seems to include a "tip percentage" screen. It gets used in scenarios where tipping doesn't seem to make a lot of sense (like ordering a $5 sandwich at a fast-food counter or like buying food from a bakery). Probably makes more sense if you think of the UI as a digital "tip jar". One difference is that if you pay with cash you might sometimes get change, which you might throw in the tip jar; there's not really an incentive to round up an electronic purchase.

rated:
busyryan said:   Supposedly tips once stood for to insure prompt service,

††
Insure against what? Floods? You would ensure prompt service, so tep your waiter. If some people think tip is an acronym, it likely explains why they are waiting tables for a living.†

I have been to Jersey Mikes exactly once and won't go again. Terrible sub, there are much better options around.

rated:
ganda said:   
busyryan said:   Supposedly tips once stood for to insure prompt service,
††
Insure against what? Floods? You would ensure prompt service, so tep your waiter. If some people think tip is an acronym, it likely explains why they are waiting tables for a living.†

I have been to Jersey Mikes exactly once and won't go again. Terrible sub, there are much better options around.

††
Depends what your other options are. The Kroger near my office uses same day sliced Boar's Head meat for their subs, so I usually get that over Jersey Mike's. But in other areas without a good deli, Jersey Mike's is easily the best sub shop.

rated:
string3599 said:   

† At the time the tip is asked for, there is no way to know if they have done a good job. All that has happened is that his order has been taken. He doesn't know how fast he will get his food, the quality of the food, etc.

This scenario is better than when they hand you a credit card slip to sign and you have to scratch through the tip line while the cashier watches. I try to pay in cash at places like this to remove the awkwardness.

††
You haven't been to a Jersey Mike's before - when you order, they make the food right in front of you. Sometimes, the same person checks you out that prepared your food too.†

This isn't a hard concept. You tip you feel like they went over and beyond or you don't tip. Don't make a mountain out of a molehill.†

Skipping 14 Messages...
rated:
atikovi said:   
†Like I said, this place doesn't have service. All are paid at least $11.50 a hour. I don't see why tipping is even an option. Maybe a jar would be ok, but this method is a bit much. At the auto parts store, when the guy goes in the back to get me a set of spark plugs, why isn't there a tip jar at the cash register?

Tipping is an option because some people will leave some no matter what because†restaurant business is usually one where people traditionally tip, where as it's far less common to tip your car mechanic. Shouldn't be an issue though. If you don't feel like you're getting service, then don't tip.† No big deal. Especially if you don't intend on coming back. What do you care what they think of you leaving no tip? That aside, intimidating practices tend to take care of themselves due to market forces. Lack of repeat business, poor reputation, etc will take care of it naturally. Well unless the place is the soup nazi or something lol.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017