Do you tip your Uber/Lyft driver?

Archived From: Finance
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I've used Uber mostly overseas and never tipped, decent rider rating of 4.9. Then used Uber last week and the driver kept bitchin about how Uber doesn't pay them well and he pays a lot of money for car insurance; basically trying to sell a sob story. He also had a card behind the seat that says he appreciates tips. I didn't tip him but did give him 5 stars. Checked my rider rating and it went down to 4.7.

I'm in the no tip club unless the driver does something beyond their job (help with luggage, extremely well driving and effectiveness, hottie). And that's only if I have cash on hand.

Do you tip? If you don't, does your rider rating suffer? Does it even matter?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
With Lyft tips are shown in the driver's daily summary ...which rides tipped them and how much although it does not cont... (more)

realjones (Jun. 25, 2017 @ 5:14p) |

At this point based on your story, you aren't tipping for service. Your giving money due to sympathy pity. You might as ... (more)

justignoredem (Jun. 26, 2017 @ 11:28a) |

You have 30 days after your trip to tip your driver with Uber. They make the statement that "tipping is associated with ... (more)

BostonOne (Jun. 26, 2017 @ 3:30p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I tip when I have a few dollars or a five in cash in my wallet and always tip for an airport ride.

BostonOne said:   I tip when I have a few dollars or a five in cash in my wallet and always tip for an airport ride.

Why do you tip though?

RussellJohnson said:   
BostonOne said:   I tip when I have a few dollars or a five in cash in my wallet and always tip for an airport ride.

Why do you tip though?

RussellJohnson said:   Then used Uber last week and the driver kept bitchin about how Uber doesn't pay them well and he pays a lot of money for car insurance; basically trying to sell a sob story. 
  That is why it is so popular the rides are cheap. I remember when it first came out the draw was that there was no tipping. Now it looks more and more like that is the way it going to go. I usually don't tip on Uber or Lyft but we'll see once they add the option to do so in the app.

The driver doesn't have to cover a taxi medallion or business and can write off mileage/expenses.  I think depending on the fare and how cordial they are I might consider it.  If they nagged or expected that is is a no tip scenario all day and I would drop their driver rating at least one star since they are harassing you on your trip.

I would contact Uber if you think you were unfairly given a low rating. I've taken hundreds of Ubers and never had a driver complain about tips although many have mentioned Lyft pays better.

I don't tip Uber, sometimes $1 on Lyft for good drivers - I find Lyft to have higher quality drivers (less likely to miss turns, have some semblance of where they're going).

Had my car in the shop for maintenance near my house.  Used Uber Pool for rides home and then back to shop the next day.  
Just a few miles each way, I was shocked that the fare was only $3-4.
The 1st ride there was another rider, but I was first to be dropped off, took ~10 minutes.
The 2nd ride I was the only rider, it was almost rush hour and raining, so took a good 15-20 minutes.
I tipped $3-4 for each ride, figuring I was expecting it too cost $6-10 and because I felt the drivers were making less than minimum wage during my time with them...
Both drivers were quite appreciative and only discussed how little they got paid when I mentioned it.
And there's also this: https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2017/04/10/uber-showing-drivers-and-riders-different-fare-estimates-says-lawsuit/ 
Such a shady company...

icecube said:   Had my car in the shop for maintenance near my house.  Used Uber Pool for rides home and then back to shop the next day.  
Barely a few miles each way, I was shocked that the fare was only $3-4.
The 1st ride there was another rider, but I was first to be dropped off, took 5-10 minutes.
The 2nd ride I was the only rider, it was almost rush hour and raining, so took a good 15-20 minutes.
I tipped $3-4 for each ride, figuring I was expecting it too cost $6-10 and because I felt the drivers were making less than minimum wage during my time with them...
Both drivers were quite appreciative and only discussed how little they got paid when I mentioned it.
And there's also this: https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2017/04/10/uber-showing-drivers-and-riders-different-fare-estimates-says-lawsuit/
Such a shady company...

So you tipped due to empathy? Not agreeing or disagreeing, just trying to understand reasons for tipping or not tipping.

I believe the tipping will be an option in NY on Uber app pretty soon. 

realjones said:   I would contact Uber if you think you were unfairly given a low rating. I've taken hundreds of Ubers and never had a driver complain about tips although many have mentioned Lyft pays better.

I don't tip Uber, sometimes $1 on Lyft for good drivers - I find Lyft to have higher quality drivers (less likely to miss turns, have some semblance of where they're going).

Plenty of friends I work with that travel every week for work have told me that plenty will put up signs giving that "Hint hint, nudge nudge, don't forget to tip me" signs. I agree, I think asking or hinting for tips should result in at least 1 fewer star rating.

As for myself, I don't typically tip - mostly because I don't ever carry cash. I should probably switch to Lyft, because there are a good number of drivers that were friendly, fast, and helpful that I would have given a few bucks to if I had the option.

RussellJohnson said:   
icecube said:   Had my car in the shop for maintenance near my house.  Used Uber Pool for rides home and then back to shop the next day.  
Barely a few miles each way, I was shocked that the fare was only $3-4.
The 1st ride there was another rider, but I was first to be dropped off, took 5-10 minutes.
Such a shady company...

So you tipped due to empathy? Not agreeing or disagreeing, just trying to understand reasons for tipping or not tipping.

Yes, empathy was part of it.
But also good service: nice, clean cars and they drove well.  Both drivers were polite, but didn't talk much which I'm fine with.
I wanted a service at a fair price.
The price ended up being even less than what I considered fair.
So I tipped the driver what I felt the difference was.
I do prefer the no-tip expected policy of Uber vs the optional tipping in Lyft (would love to see restaurants eliminate tipping).

I've done Uber twice in my life, and tipping didn't even cross my mind. It's not in the app, so it wasn't even a consideration.

[ btw, I'm the guy who got quite a bit of red for encouraging tipping here https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1537228?showmessage=196... ]

I always tip. Its always cheaper than a taxi, quicker to get one, and only a couple times have they've been a disaster. Just like everyone else they are trying to make a living and I do well enough where if a couple dollars makes or breaks me then I messed up somewhere else.

have never tipped a business owner

most of my uber rides are for work so I expense them. If there's no option to tip in the app and add to the total, I can't expense it?

rufflesinc said:   most of my uber rides are for work so I expense them. If there's no option to tip in the app and add to the total, I can't expense it?
  So you buy into the BS that Uber uses to it's advantage to get away without having to give benefits?  I'm not saying you need to tip but that's a weak excuse.

pietromoon said:   have never tipped a business owner
So, I guess no tipping for cab drivers either?  The barbershop I go to has several stylists and the owner himself also cuts hair.  I tip him but feel weird doing so.

No, I don't tip Uber. When I need a ride, it is usually unexpectedly and I hardly ever carry anything less than a $20 (usual carrying cash is 3-$20's).

I don't tip Uber drivers, but I do tip cab drivers. Taxi rates are set with the assumption that there will be a tip. There's no assumption of tipping for Uber rates. Also, in NYC, UberX rates are just about the same as taxi rates, if you include a tip for the taxi, but not for Uber.

bucksandreds2185 said:   
rufflesinc said:   most of my uber rides are for work so I expense them. If there's no option to tip in the app and add to the total, I can't expense it?
  So you buy into the BS that Uber uses to it's advantage to get away without having to give benefits?  I'm not saying you need to tip but that's a weak excuse.

I use Uber or Taxi service while on business.  The taxi service I use in NY has option to enter tip at the end of the trip, Uber doesn't so no tip for Uber.  It's mostly due to me not carrying cash.  If I have cash, I'd tip Uber driver and just add it to my business expense as I don't have to submit receipts if the expense was < $75.  i.e. $50 Uber fare + $5 cash tip = $55 taxi ride to LGA. 

Does the internet really need another tipping thread?

uber drivers aren't business owners

dealmaster00 said:   

they are independent contractors

To me, it depends on what's expected.

On Lyft, or a cab, it's expected. On Uber, it's not.

I make sure to thank the driver at the end of the ride, and mention he would get five stars (if that's what they deserve). Only once, there was a tip jar and a message about tips appreciated. I mentioned to the driver, sorry, I don't carry cash, but again mentioned I would give them 5 stars.

The drivers should know, Uber discourages tips, so if they expect that, they should drive for Lyft. When I use a cab, I charge and add the tip to the charge.

That's how I see it.

Just what we needed, another tipping thread.

I always tip Uber. As others have said, Karma.

Karma to me is to end the practice of tipping.

rufflesinc said:   
dealmaster00 said:   

The rule of thumb around "don't tip business owners" really means "don't tip people who set the prices."  Uber drivers don't set the price. 

cestmoi123 said:   
rufflesinc said:   
dealmaster00 said:   

The rule of thumb around "don't tip business owners" really means "don't tip people who set the prices."  Uber drivers don't set the price. 

the market sets the price

I tip Lyft drivers because tipping is available in the app. I don't tip Uber drivers because it's not available and I rarely carry cash.

No tip.

I don't use lyft because of the tipping

rufflesinc said:   
cestmoi123 said:   
rufflesinc said:   
dealmaster00 said:   

In an overall sense, yes.  But this is a case where you've been told by a specific vendor "the price is $X," and you've accepted that price.   If the vendor wanted more money, he/she could have asked for it.  

The market sets the price in the aggregate, in that, if the vendor wants too high a price, they don't get any business.  Clearly, that isn't the case here.  

I tip almost every time except for the prius driver who kept turning the a/c low on me when i was burning in the back seat and requested they turn it up twice.

No tip unless truly above-and-beyond [long waits, weird requests], 1* if harassed about tips, and I avoid Lyft because it offers a tipping option.

I never tip though i use UBER 4 times a week on average. Used LYFT a few times and stopped because they ask for a tip.

Doesn't the star/rating system obviate the need for tips?  

It's strange how technology has essentially solved the tipping problem via the star system, but the corporation still wants to squeeze the consumer so that they can pay the drivers less.  

And many of you are falling for it!

If all of us don't tip, the situation will correct itself -- the corporation will pay the drivers more and/or charge more, or it won't.

zero days
Disclaimer
TravelerMSY said:   Does the internet really need another tipping thread?

cestmoi123 said:   
rufflesinc said:   
cestmoi123 said:   
rufflesinc said:   
dealmaster00 said:   

In an overall sense, yes.  But this is a case where you've been told by a specific vendor "the price is $X," and you've accepted that price.   If the vendor wanted more money, he/she could have asked for it.  

The market sets the price in the aggregate, in that, if the vendor wants too high a price, they don't get any business.  Clearly, that isn't the case here.  

This is my argument for why I DON'T tip. If drivers feel they are not being paid fairly, they will no longer drive for Uber and Uber will increase fares to attract more drivers. Until that happens, there seem to be plenty of people willing to work for Uber's pay for whatever reason.

I hate tipping and hope that it does not become an expectation in Uber. I NEVER carry cash and that's a big reason I like Uber--cab drivers in my town like to give me a hassle about using a credit card & I got tired of it. 

Skipping 95 Messages...
realjones said:   
BigMoneyGrip said:   Anyone know if the driver can see if you tipped prior to them rating you?

With Lyft tips are shown in the driver's daily summary ...which rides tipped them and how much although it does not contain the personal info of each rider....if they didn't give many rides the driver could probably figure out who did easily.  I imagine Uber will be similar.

You have 30 days after your trip to tip your driver with Uber. They make the statement that "tipping is associated with your trip, not your name." So, not completely clear if the driver can access whether you tipped prior to rating you.

https://www.uber.com/ride/how-it-works/tips/

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017